During the summer of 1932, Professor Tilden (the Eno Foundation President at the time) invented a device for measuring the speed of automobiles. The Enoscope, as it was called, was introduced in several states. It consisted of a black L-shaped box with two open sides and a mirror attached across the interior angle. The operator set the scope on a fixed tripod at a measured distance to the spot the car would first pass. When the blip of the moving vehicle registered on the mirror the operator would start his stopwatch. When the car reached the operator’s position he would stop his watch. The elapsed time compared to charted time/distance relationships would indicate the miles per hour. The box was a forerunner of today’s use of radar for speed detection and an improvement over the earlier method of placing two policemen at a measured distance apart and connected by telephone. The Enoscope was used in a 1930s speed survey in which more than 45,000 observations were made. Conducted in the state of Connecticut by the Commission of Vehicular Traffic, it was sponsored by the Transportation Committee of Yale University, Eno Foundation for Highway Traffic Regulation, the U.S. Bureau of Public Roads, and the Connecticut Highway Department.